Search This Blog

Thursday, May 28, 2020





ANONYMITY.COM
COMPILATION AND COMMENTARY
BY LUCY WARNER
MAY 28, 2020

I KEEP GETTING CALLS FROM “800 SERVICE.” SUSPICIOUS AS I AM, I NEVER PICK THEM UP. I AM RIGHT IN THAT CYNICAL VIEW. READ THIS BLOG FROM A VERY SMART AND WELL-QUALIFIED GUY NAMED RICK.

How to find out who’s behind that 800 number that keeps calling you
Posted on January 7, 2014
RICK ROUSE

About Rick (and this blog)…
I’m Rick Rouse, an A+ certified computer tech and blogger with over 40 years of experience in the tech world.

I really enjoy sharing the things I’ve learned over the years via this blog. But most of all, I love helping folks solve their tech problems whenever I can.

Like most people, I don’t like answering phone calls from numbers which have no caller ID info attached, and the anonymous calls I dislike the most are the ones from toll free numbers.

Personal experience has shown that the majority of calls from anonymous 800 numbers and their ilk are from people that it would probably be wise to avoid (i.e. scammers and shysters). And trust me, there are a lot of scammers and miscreants out there.

If you keep getting repeat calls from an unidentified toll free number, a great website called 800notes just might be able to tell you who’s actually making those calls! Just visit the site and type in the 10 digit phone number. If others have received calls from that same number and reported it to 800notes, you’ll be able to read their comments and (hopefully) find out who owns it.

There are a couple of caveats to keep in mind when using the 800notes website:

1 – If you’re being targeted by a scammer who’s using a brand new phone number, you probably won’t find any information about the number in the 800notes database.

2 – Since the 800notes database of toll free numbers is compiled and augmented by regular users just like you and me, there might be a bunch of conflicting comments in which some users report a given number as a scam while others report it as belonging to a legitimate business. Therefore, as the old adage states, “your mileage may vary”.

For example, if you look up the number 800-266-2278, you’ll see that some comments indicate that it’s a scam number while others say it belongs to Comcast Communications (for the record, it is indeed the real contact number for Comcast).

If you see a lot of conflicting comments about a number, you’ll just have to your best judgement in regards to which “side” to believe. Most numbers aren’t like this however. It’ll usually be crystal clear based on the comments whether a number belongs to a scammer or not.

Click here to look up a toll free number on the 800notes website.



BLOG STATS REPORTING FROM “UNKNOWN REGION” -- SPOOKY. WHO IS ALLOWED AND ENABLED TO BLOCK THEIR LOCATION FROM BLOGGER? I AND APPARENTLY A NUMBER OF OTHERS WHO TRACK THEIR AUDIENCE BY NATION HAVE BEEN RECEIVING UNWELCOME ATTENTION FROM PEOPLE WHO ARE APPARENTLY ABLE TO BLOCK BLOGGER.COM FROM LOCATING THEM. I JUST WONDER WHO IS ABLE TO DO THAT? CAN I EASILY DO IT? WOULD IT AFFECT MY ABILITY TO USE THE INTERNET IF I DID? OH, DEAR GOD, IS IT THE DEEP STATE? IS IT Q-ANON?

I FIRST NOTICED IT ABOUT A YEAR AGO, BUT SOME OF THE HITS FROM MY INITIAL SEARCH FOR THE PHENOMENON TODAY GO BACK TO 2016, SO IT ISN’T NEW. THERE MAY BE A FLURRY OF IT LATELY, THOUGH. SINCE I DON’T KNOW WHO THEY ARE, THERE IS NO WAY I CAN BLOCK THEM FROM MY SITE. IT IS PROBABLY HARMLESS. AS LONG AS NOBODY KNOWS ME IN THE FLESH AND WHERE I HAPPEN TO LIVE, I’M SAFE ENOUGH. IT’S JUST LIKE HANG UP TELEPHONE CALLS. IT’S SPOOKY. 

OTHERS WHO HAVE EXPERIENCED THIS

Original Poster
Zack Gallagher
5/9/19

Why has "Unknown Region" recently become a more common "Audience" Stat in my www.IrishFoodGuide.ie  1 Reply
Why has "Unknown Region" recently become a more common "Audience" Stat on my www.IrishFoodGuide.ie Blogger Blog ?

I have attached 3 screen shots
1. All Time stats
2. Month stats
3. Now stats

and as you will see, the "Unknown Region" is becoming much more dominant in the stats results.
I've had this Blog since 2008 so it's not a "newly-started-blog-issue" as I've see replied to, in some other similar queries.
Anyone know what  "Unknown Region" really is?
thanks, in advance. Zack



Original Poster
Garnet Official Account
5 days

Why is there Unknown Region views, and what are those? 1 Reply
I have been blogging for almost a year. However, these days, there is something called the " Unknown Region " going on on my blogger stats.

My blog ( garnet13.blogspot.com ) has been getting a few number of Unknown Region these days. I am wondering why, and how did this Unknown Region Views come out? I have been looking for Blogger Help about this issue but there is no clear answer as to how Unknown Region Views exist. Although this "Unknown Region" is not much impact to my blog, but I still want to know as to why these views come from.

Photo below.
This Photo is just this week ( 17 / 5 / 2020 ), where the 2 unknown region views first existed.


1 ANSWER

Platinum Product Expert
travler.
5 days [MAY 23, 2020]

See Peggy K response at https://support.google.com/blogger/thread/5755861?hl=en

"Unknown region" may show if Google cannot determine where the visitor to your blog is located. They may be more people blocking location information or it may be that Google has changed the way they determine that.

I've noticed that increasing for my blog as well, so it may be a general phenomenon.

You may want to link your blog to Google Analytics, which has more detailed stats.
Learn how here: https://support.google.com/blogger/answer/7039627


****    ****    ****    ****   

No comments:

Post a Comment